Just like wall colors and flooring options, window treatment trends change over the years. And with Americans spending more time than ever at home, a surprising number of resolutions involve sprucing up their humble abode. So whether you’re looking to make your space more beautiful or more practical, start with your window treatments.
Window Treatment Trends for the New Year
Treatments for the Home Office
With millions of Americans still working from home, it’s never been more important to have a home office that’s both beautiful and functional. So whether you’re in there every day until 5 pm or just the occasional Saturday morning, the window treatments you choose will play a big role in your productivity and comfort.
If you’re redesigning your home office, make sure to:
- Think about light control. Anyone who works from home will tell you that natural light plays an important role — you want good lighting when you’re trying to read, but you also don’t want a glare on your computer screen every day as the sun sets.
- Pay attention to temperature control. Especially if your office has south-facing windows, the temperature in your office can quickly skyrocket. Thanks to their unique design, cellular shades can reduce heat transfer by up to 65%.
- Keep things neutral and different. To keep your “home life” a little separate from your “work-life,” we suggest choosing treatments that are different from the ones in your living room and bedroom. And to keep a calming atmosphere, consider something like real or faux wood blinds.
An Emphasis on Energy Efficiency
Treatments do a lot more than just look beautiful, they also play a big role in your home’s energy efficiency and bills. In fact, studies show that roughly 30% of a home’s heating energy is lost through improperly covered windows.
Below are some of the most energy-efficient treatment options:
- Roller shades
- Roman shades
- Cellular Window Shades
Motorization to Improve Convenience
At first glance, motorizing your window treatments might not seem like a priority. But there are some surprising benefits, beyond just the convenience of not having to get up, that you might not have thought about.
Some of the biggest benefits that come with motorizing your window treatments include:
- Energy efficiency: Even the most energy-efficient treatments won’t work to their full potential if you’re opening and closing them at the wrong time. If you live in a cooler climate, you may be able to reduce your energy bill by opening your treatments just after the sun rises and closing them at sunset.
- Programmable: If you’re someone who spends a lot of time at work or traveling, we suggest investing in motorized treatments that can be programmed to open and close at specific times. Most importantly, programmable treatments can help keep your house safe by opening in the morning and closing at night, giving the appearance that you’re at home (even when you’re not). And when you are home, they allow you to go about your day without having to adjust your treatments according to the sun or changes in weather.
- Child safety: When you think about potential dangers in your home, window treatments probably aren’t the first things that come to your mind. But unfortunately, roughly two children are injured every day in a window blind-related incident, and one dies each month. And while cutting loop cords or fascinating cords to the wall is a better choice than just letting them hang, the best way to protect your little one is to eliminate the cord altogether.
When it comes time to motorize, you have more options than you might realize. Depending on where the window sits (south-facing, under a shaded awning, etc.) and how you plan on using your treatments, we’ll suggest one of the below options:
- Rechargeable battery packs: We prefer rechargeable packs because they’re stronger and more reliable than AA battery versions. Taking only 4 hours to recharge (and we include a micro-USB charging cable), this battery pack will move a shade up or down more than 400 times before needing to be recharged.
- Solar panels: If your window gets a lot of sunlight, let solar panels keep a continuous charge, therefore eliminating the need to recharge a battery pack yourself.
Visualize Before You Buy
Decorating your home is all fun and games until it comes time to make a final decision. With so many treatment options, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed — that’s where our window treatment visualizer tool comes in handy!
While you may not be able to change your shades with the snap of your fingers, you can do it with the click of a button. Whether you upload a photo of your current space or select a scene from our collection of photos, you can manipulate the window treatments, floor, and wall color
At Bloomin' Blinds, our greatest priority is your comfort and satisfaction. That is why we offer a wide variety of motorized blinds, shutters, and shades to meet all your needs. Contact us today to find your nearest location!