Buying blinds or shades isn’t something you should do after a quick online search or trip to the store. The window treatments you choose today will sit in your home for years to come, so it’s important to do your research before placing your order.
If you’re in the market for blinds, shades or shutters, make sure you’re not guilty of making these common mistakes:
Window Treatment Mistakes
1. Focusing on design over functionality.
From bold colors to striking prints, we know better than anyone that window treatments have the power to transform a room. That being said, it’s important to think beyond how well they’ll look in your space — you also need to consider how they’ll function.
Does the room you’re decorating face the sun? Will children be playing in that room? Are you trying to get more privacy? Are you buying treatments for rooms prone to humidity? Before you make your final decision, make sure to think about what role you want (or need) your treatments to play.
2. Ordering the same treatments for every room of your house.
It’s a question we’re asked pretty frequently: Should all of the treatments in my home match? The short answer is, probably not. Every room in your home likely has a different need and style, which your treatments should reflect. That being said, cohesion goes a long way, especially in smaller spaces. If you’re not sure how to design for your space, schedule a free virtual consultation with our experts!
3. Not understanding all of your options.
Window treatments have come a long way over the years. This means that homeowners now have more options to choose from than ever before. While most treatments are divided into three primary categories — blinds, shades, and shutters — you can find more specific options within each group, like cellular, roman, and roller shades. You also have a variety of materials to choose from, like wood or composites.
4. Not considering specialty options.
Now that you’ve found your perfect blinds, shades, or shutters, it’s time to personalize them even further. Below are some of our most popular options:
- Motorization: Motorization gives you more than just improved comfort and convenience — it can also improve the energy efficiency of your property through simple automation. Modern motorized window coverings can also be connected to the leading home assistants such as Amazon’s Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Home. We also suggest cordless, motorized options for rooms that children sleep or play in.
- Room darkening: If your bedroom is south-facing or you’re designing a theater room, room darkening shades can make a huge difference in how you enjoy your space.
At Bloomin' Blinds, our greatest priority is your comfort and satisfaction. That is why we offer a wide variety of blinds, shutters, and shades to meet all your needs. Contact us today to find your nearest location!
About the Author: Kelsey Stuart, Bloomin’ Blinds
Kelsey is the current CEO for Bloomin’ Blinds and has been an expert in the window covering industry since 2002. He is an expert in window treatment sales and marketing, and has sold over $2.5 million in window coverings in a year. Kelsey’s favorite hobby is traveling and tries to take week-long trips at least once every three months. He also enjoys anything involving mountains, pine needles, and hiking.