When we talk about allergies, one season tends to dominate the conversation — spring. However, it’s possible, even likely, to suffer from allergies all year long. Especially in the winter, when our homes are closed up tightly for months, people who are allergic to pet dander and dust can notice their symptoms getting worse.
Window Treatments to Alleviate Allergies
When it comes to designing your perfect home, functionality is just as important as style. If you’re an allergy sufferer, consider these easy-to-maintain options:
- Faux wood blinds. Faux wood blinds are as decorative as they are practical. Not only do hard treatments attract less dust than soft ones, but they’re also easy to keep clean with just a light dusting.
- Vertical blinds. All you need is a vacuum or duster to keep vertical blinds clean. Vertical surfaces also do not allow dust to collect. We also suggest wiping them down with a washcloth every few months to catch any lingering allergens.
- Roller shades. Because dust can’t make its way onto roller shades when they’re pulled up, they’re a top choice for allergy-friendly homes. They’re also flat and simple to clean with just a vacuum.
- Wood or composite shutters. Shutters made of any hard material are an excellent choice because they can be cleaned with just the wipe of a microfiber cloth. They also offer fantastic light and privacy control.
Window Treatments to Avoid:
If you or anyone in your home suffers from allergies, it’s best to stay away from:
- Heavy-duty, dry-clean-only drapes. Dust and dander cling to soft surfaces and require constant cleaning.
- Small-slatted blinds. Blinds with hundreds of small slats are a dust magnet and can be difficult and time-consuming to clean.
At Bloomin’ Blinds, our greatest priority is your comfort and satisfaction. That is why we offer a wide variety of motorized blinds, shutters, and shades to meet all your needs. Contact us today to find your nearest Bloomin’ Blinds!